For a while I have been toying with the idea of creating some crocheted American Girl doll clothing patterns, especially since my oldest daughter has a Felicity doll as well as another 18 inch doll. As I generally do when I decide to crochet something entirely new, I decided to start with something fairly simple and made a crocheted ballet shrug with some sport weight acrylic yarn I had leftover from a custom order alphabet letter project.
The first challenge was making the shrug fitted, without it being too hard to get over the doll’s fingers. Just like a baby, a doll is not very helpful when you try to put clothing on it. I ended up having to add a stitch and frogged about ten rows to start over.
Keeping count of rows was a bit of a challenge as well. I would definitely recommend using your row counter while making this. For some reason I thought that the fact that I was writing down the pattern as I went would help me keep track of rows. (Of course, being interrupted by children while working probably contributed to losing track of where I was.)
Hopefully I will get a chance to type up this pattern in the evening (when no children are awake to interrupt me.) Once I do I hope to find a pattern tester who would be willing to do a quick test of this pattern for me. After that you will be able to find this pattern on Ravelry and through my blog as a free download.
If you have other suggestions for crochet patterns for American Girl dolls, please let me know. I am taking requests from my daughter and have a few ideas of my own. I am also offering handmade American Girl doll clothing in my Artfire studio.
Pattern now available as free download from Ravelry: download now