My front door mat has had it. I can no longer see the pictures that were supposed to be on it and can hardly remember what they looked like. In addition, it is finally starting to come apart at the edges. I bought it on a trip to Arizona before either of my kids were born, so it served a good long time.
I decided to try to make the new door mat. At first I was not sure whether I wanted to use cotton or acrylic. Cotton yarn would weigh more, and probably make it lay better, but could take a long time to dry if it got wet. My front stoop gets lots of sun, so the rain probably would not be a problem, but fading could be. I finally decided to try to use up a bunch of my acrylic stash for this project.
I found two patterns for southwestern rugs at Free Patterns. When I looked at the patterns and the photos I thought maybe the rugs were reversed. Sure enough, once I got partway into the pattern, I realized I was correct. I was making the rug on the right when the pattern said I was making the rug on the left.
I chose to use three strands of worsted together instead of two, to give it just a little more weight in hopes of not too much kicking up problems. We will see how that goes.